Monday, November 07, 2016

What would you rather be "rustic" or "distressed" at Christmas?

Good morning and how are you this Monday morning?
Cloudy skies here in the north but there is blue behind, here's hoping the latter prevails today.  Mind you it has definitely gone down a few notches in the temperature scales.  For me a perfectly good excuse to stay in the warm and craft but I'm off to work with my cleaning head on.
Before I go I thought I'd share the finished palette trees that I challenged my hubby to recently.
Now I have the problem of which one do I like the best.
One tree has been left totally rustic and just waxed with a clear wax.


It is just over three foot tall with the star and I love the fact that all the imperfections in the wood and the bark are highlighted by the wax.  Sorry not the best photographs as they were taken in the dark this morning.

The second has been painted with white chalk paint, then a dark wax added before polishing back, giving it a distressed feel about it.


The nature of the wood means that each tree will be slightly different.  I love them both but can't make up my mind as to which one I really prefer.

I have now purchased some green chalk paint, that will be the next challenge set.
I should not give myself so much choice, as I can't make a decision to save my life!

Did you have a good weekend?
I had a crazy busy shift at work on Saturday, Christmas is coming!
This was followed by a relaxing evening in, crocheting and catching up with Strictly followed by a family movie night which ended up being a lot later than planned.  With that in mind the FFF on Sunday ended up being a very chilled out, relaxing day at home with brunch and an afternoon of crocheting.  Not a bad way to spend a wet, chilly Sunday afternoon.

That's all from me today, off to work I go.
I shall be back later with a cup of tea and will catch up with everything you have been up to over the weekend.
Happy crafting!

6 comments:

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Lovely trees, the bottom one is slightly my fave

Mrs A. said...

I can't make up my mind either. They are both fab. Hugs Mrs A.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

I love both these rustic trees you have created Erika although I prefer the chalk painted one slightly more - I always did go for the lime washed look.
They will both look fabulous at Christmas whichever one you choose.
Hope the day goes fast and smoothly for you.
Lorraine

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Erika, lovely trees, a brilliant idea to use the pallet wood. The rustic one for me I think.
Dull day here, no blue behind the clouds, don't work too hard, Kate x

Jenny L said...

Hi Erika,
wonderful trees, and they both look so very lovely, but I think the white chalk one just pips it with me.
We have had some lovely sun today but it has been windy and very chilly.
Sorry I have missed a few Oldie for Fridays will definitely post this Friday.
If you have time tonight take a look at my frind Jan's blog and her crochet Rudolf.
You will find her blog on the right side of my blog list.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Barb said...

I', so pleased to see the finished trees Erika. They both look fabulous. I really do like both but think the first rustic one just gets my vote. Barbxx