Friday, July 13, 2012

Shabby comfort!

Yesterday I popped over to Alford with my good friend Irene for a class with Anne at The Sew Room. 
Get out your sewing machine and dust it down!  Or in my case replace the needle as my machine sees more paper and acetate than it ever sees material.
I had a super day and learnt loads about my machine and I had this to bring home with me....


It looks blue in the photo but it is duck egg in colour.  Isn't the cotton fabric just fabulous?  I loved the faux chenilling in the centre panel, I will be trying that again.  In fact I brought enough material away to make another plus Sloan paint to give my kitchen a bit of a shabby chic make over too. 
It looks like I will be having fun over the weekend.  (I think the kitchen will take a wee bit longer!)
The beauty of this shabby cushion is every time you wash it the edges get a little more shabby.
And the back....


I've got loads of material in the loft including some fabby Christmas prints....I can feel a new hobby starting or is it returning to a previous tried one with a bit more knowledge under my belt?! 
I have tried patchwork before but I did it by hand and boy it takes a long time.  The machine certainly speeds things up!

If you are ever in Alford I recommend a trip to Anne's The Sew Room and she has some stunning fabric, ribbons and buttons.  Thanks also to both Irene's for the great company and nibbles.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Ohhh this is gorgeous Erika, love that fabric and the colour. I have a quilt on the go whic hI am going to take to Scotland in August to do the hand quilting bits.
Hugs
Cathy xx

scrappymo! said...

Really lovely sewing!
You have mentioned shabby chic before...can't wait to see your kitchen redo!

Elaine said...

Oh this is gorgeous Erika.
I love the colours (blue is still my first love) and the fabric patterns are so pretty.
I said you were multi-talented..and I was right (as always ha!)

I can just about manage to sew on a button!

Enjoy your weekend.
Big hugs
Elaine xx

Shazza said...

I love this Erika, gorgeous fabric x

Sarah Louise said...

After i stopped shaking, being a newbie sew'er, i loved anne's class. Your pillow looks fab. Anne has twisted my arm for a tilda figure class next.