Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A "hooking" rose by any other name would smell so sweet!

Good evening all and how are you.
We had sunshine today.  Shock horror!
I had a busy morning in work and then had to run a few errands before coming home and sorting out the tea.  My boys are away to watch the talent show this evening with their Dad, one working and one watching, meanwhile I am enjoying a little peace.
Today I have a little hooking project I have finished, another rose but a different pattern, this time two tone.  I would have liked to have made it red and white but my Mum always told me you should never have red and white flowers together as it symbolises death.
I can hear her voice in my head and every time I say, but I like red and white together.
Still I have compromised and gone for cream and red instead.


And sideways...


The centrepiece was from my good friend Elaine who sent me a box full of diamante goodies, I think it matches the cream lovely.  
You see, Mum's are always right, if I hadn't used cream instead of white this little diamante and pearl centre wouldn't have worked.  I have used cream and red cotton yarn.
The flower is really quite big so I am going to play around with the pattern and maybe make it a little smaller for a brooch. 
I like to follow a pattern the first couple of times and then tweak it, I do the same in the kitchen too, always changing recipes, some for the better and some, well, we don't mention them!
How does the saying go?

If you can't make a mistake, you can't make anything.- Marva Collins

I like that quote.  We learn from mistakes and if we do we don't make the same ones again.  

It only remains for me to sign off this evening.  I have another morning in work tomorrow and then it's Harbour time at the Gala, let's hope the sunshine's well into the evening and it will be a good afternoon and evening.
Catch you again soon.  x


5 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

This is really beautiful in the two tone Erika, lovely neat hooking too. I have tried but I just can't seem to get the hang of making flowers and they end up wonky :/ !
Lorraine

Jenny L said...

Hi Erika,
ooooooooo! I missed your other one as I wasn't about, but this one is gorgeous, and I love the cream and red.
Wonderful pearl center piece too.
I have never heard the saying about red and white flowers.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Erika, what a gorgeous flower, you really make them so beautifully and the little sparkly pearl in the centre is just perfect, hugs Kate x

Patricia said...

Good morning Erika,
I just LOVE that beautiful flower, makes a beautiful brooch.
Hope the weather holds for you.
Hugs
Patricia x

Carol said...

Finally managing to catch up with everyone after my holidays...I was sure I'd commented on Fridays post but must just have thought about it lol! Lots going on here while I've been gone...love your gelli plate play and this rose is so pretty. Loved your thistles too. Carol x