Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Twins at opposite sides of the world.

Good evening how are you this Tuesday?
It's been another busy day up here and I've just sat down to write this with a glass of juice, that's not very exciting is it?
We had visitors at work today so I was busy making it ship shape.  The Navy training coming in.  I hope all has gone well, as I left as they arrived.  The perfect timing, making a sharp exit.
Since home I've had the boys to pick up and the dog to walk before making tea and clearing away.
It is time now to relax, I think a nice aromatherapy bath is the order of the evening.

Today I have a couple of cards for you.
Remember awhile back I made a kayak card and a rucksack and walking boots card?
These were made for twins, one who lives up here and another who lives in New Zealand.
Word got back to other members of the family about the cards and to cut a long story short I was asked if I would make a couple more as soon as I could.
The brief for both cards was no writing on the front at all.
I found this really hard as I am so used to putting either a sentiment or personalising it.
The first card which has gone to New Zealand had to have a split screen VW camper van and a black labrador.   This is what I came up with...


I took a map of New Zealand and made it the backdrop.  The VW camper is a split screen with the age on the numberplate.  Have you ever tried to colour a black lab with black marker pens, lots of black and no features of the dog.  I decided to cheat a little and use pencils so I could create light and shade, therefore seeing the features of the dog.
Brief covered!

The second card just had to have the picture on framed by a boarder.  No writing or any embellishments!
This needed a strong will to step away from the card and not add touches here and there.


On the upside, the recipient of the cards were delighted with them and it is always nice to get a phone call later to say how well received the cards were.

That's all from me today, time now to go and get supper organised for my youngest before shipping him off to bed.  He has a big day tomorrow, he's off to secondary school for a couple of days.
Oh I do hope he likes it and gets on fine.
Time for the next chapter!

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

6 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Perfectly done Erika, commissioned cards can sometimes be rather random in their brief and rather tricky to fulfil but you have nailed these two orders.
The camper van is my favourite one - perhaps because it is red - but both are just great.
Hope the week slows down for you and crafty time prevails.
Lorraine

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Great cards, I love the camper van. I always use greys and black for colouring black. You are getting ahead of yourself as you say Wednesday at the beginning!

Patricia said...

Absolutely brilliant cards, love them both, perfect for what was requested.
Hope all goes well for your son, I am sure he will have a great time. Thomas had 3 days last week at Secondary School and LOVED it. He was picked up by bus in the village, all day at school and a happy face when he was dropped off back in the village.
Patricia xxx

cuilliesocks said...

Well done Erika on meeting the brief, they look brilliant, I always find it difficult when people are so precise with what the want,but you've done it.
Having a day out today and thought of coming over your way, the weather looks to be quite good. You have a lovey day and hope you get some me time, Kate x

Jenny L said...

Hi Erika,
2 super design cards.
I love the camper one with the dog sitting in the foreground.
You sound extremely busy.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Cara said...

A tricky brief but you nailed it. cara x