I saw this on trending on Facebook last week and it really made me smile. Which one do you use?
30 things the British say but really mean...
1. "I might join you later" - Means I'm not leaving the house today unless it's on fire.
2. "Excuse me, sorry, is anyone sitting here?" - You have three seconds to move your bag.
3. "Not to worry" - I will never forget this.
4. Saying sorry as a way to introduce yourself.
5. "Bit wet out there" - You're going to need a snorkel as it's absolutely pishing down.
6. Ending an email with "Thanks" as a warning that you are very close to losing your temper.
7. "Right then, I suppose I really should start thinking about making a move! - Time to go, bye.
8. "It's fine" - It really couldn't get any worse.
9. "Perfect" - That is ruined then.
10. "A bit of a pickle" - A really bad situation with fatal consequences.
11. "Not too bad, actually" - I'm the happiest I've ever been.
12. "Honestly, it doesn't matter" - Nothing has mattered more.
13. "You've caught the sun" - You look like you've been swimming in a volcano.
14. "That's certainly one way of looking at it" - That is the wrong way of looking at it.
15. "I have a 5p if that helps"- and never being quite sure if it helps.
16. "If you say so" - I'm afraid what you are saying is rubbish.
17. "With all due respect" - You have no idea what you are talking about.
18. Saying "your welcome" as quietly as possible to people who don't say thank you.
19. Meanings of "I beg your pardon" 1. I didn't hear you. 2. I apologise. 3. What you are saying is making me absolutely livid.
20. "It could be worse" - It couldn't possibly get any worse.
21. "Each to their own" - You're wrong but never mind.
22. "Pop round anytime" - Please stay away.
23. "I'm popping out for lunch, does anyone want anything? - I'm getting my own lunch, please remain silent.
24. Saying "I might get some cash out actually", despite approaching the cash machine and being 100% sure of getting some.
25. "No, honestly, my fault" - It was your fault and we both know it.
26. "No yeah that's very interesting" - You are boring me to death.
27. "Just when I get a minute" - Now. (Or in my case never!)
28. "No harm done" - You have caused complete chaos.
29. "I'm sure it'll be fine" - I fully expect it won't be.
30. "Sorry I think you might have dropped something" - You have definitely dropped a specific item.
I personally like to use number 3 and 9 and occasionally numbers 12 and 17. Finally living in Scotland number 5 has to be my favourite.
Do you have a favourite?
Enjoy your Saturday. x